01 October, 2006

Famous Last Words

I have a book that shows the last words of a lot of famous people and I find them quite intriguing...but maybe that's just me. So here are some of my favorites.
-
From "Famous Last Words: Fond Farewells, Deathbed Diatribes, and Exclaiations upon Expiration" Compiled by Ray Robinson
-
"Am I dying or is this my birthday?" -Lady Astor
"I wish I had drunk more champagne." -John Maynard Keynes
"It’s very beautiful over there." -Thomas Edison
"I’ve never felt better." -Douglas Fairbanks
"On the contrary!" -Henrik Ibsen [when his wife said he’d get better]
NOTE: I love the picture of Henrik Ibsen on the link above.
"Death is nothing, nor life either, for that matter. To die, to sleep, to pass into nothingness, what does it matter? Everything is an illusion." -Mata Hari
"They couldn’t hit an elephant at this dist-." -General John Sedgwick [of Confederate sharpshooters on faraway ridge]
"[Tell them] that I loved to draw. Then go home." -Edgar Degas [instructions for his funeral]
"Drink to me!" -Pablo Picasso
"What have I lived for?" -Lorenz Hart
"Let us cross over the river and sit under the shade of the trees." -Stonewall Jackson
"My dear, before you kiss me good-bye, fix your hair. It’s a mess." -George Kelly
"I wish the whole human race had one neck and I had my hands around it." -Carl Panzram
"As to me, I leave here tomorrow for an unknown destination." -Ambrose Bierce [before disappearing]
"More light!" -Johann Wolfgang von Geothe
"Curtain! Fast music! Light! Ready for the last finale! Great! The show looks good! The show looks good!" -Florenz Ziegfeld.
"Lift me up, for I am dying. Don’t be frightened. Thank God it has come." -John Keats
"All my possessions for a moment of time." -Elizabeth I
"I’m tired of fighting. I guess this thing is going to get me." -Harry Houdini
"sister, you’re trying to keep me alive as an old curiosity. But I’m done, I’m finished, I’m going to die." -George Bernard Shaw
"God, don’t let me die. I have so much to do." -Huey Long
"What an artist the world is losing in me." -Nero
"There’s fun in the air." -Maurice Chevalier
"Goodnight my darlings, I’ll see you tomorrow." -Noel Coward
"Dear world, I’m leaving you because I’m bored. I’m leaving you with your worries. Good luck." -George Sanders
"I shall hear in heaven!" -Ludwig van Beethoven [other sources say his last words were "Friends, applaud. The comedy is over.]
"Goodbye, I’ll see you in heaven." -John D. Rockefeller, Sr.
"I have just had 18 whiskeys in a row. I do believe that is a record." -Dylan Thomas
"Cool it, brothers." -Malcolm X
"I want nothing but death." -Jane Austen
"I paint as a means to make life bearable. Don’t weep. What I have done is best for all of us. No use, I shall never be rid of this depression." -Vincent van Gogh
"Go on, get out. Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!" -Karl Marx
"I had it all, I did it all, I loved it all." -Sid Luckman
"I do not have to forgive my enemies. I have had them all shot." -Ramon Maria Narvaez
"I’m losin’." -Frank Sinatra
"I die happy!" -Charles James Fox
"Wait a second." -Madame de Pompadour
"It has all been very interesting." -Lady Marot Worthy Mantagu
"Don’t let it end like this. Tell them I said something." -Pancho Villa
-

2 comments:

r. burns said...

And here's another:

"Either this wallpaper goes or I do." - Oscar Wilde

Oh, the things one learns from Gilmore Girls at 1:30 AM...

maggini in tweed said...

That one was in my book. It's just the explaination of it was really long...but it sounds like something I would say. But I'd succeed the wallpaper, on that.
-
But the word verification on my comments must go.