25 July, 2006

open the books!


In my last post, I had the pictures of the old bookstore. So I thought that on this one I might post pictures of some of the writing inside the books, which is what interested me the most about them.
You can barely see it in most of the pictures, because it's faded so much over the years - one of the books dates back to the 1800s.

Captions (Left to Right)

First Row:
1.) From "Palaces and Courts of the Expostition" Copyright March 1915
"To my dear friend Annie Nourne,
from Fannie H Goddard
August 13th, 1915
Sacramento, California"

2.) Later in the same book (title page):
"Arrived in San F. Monday Aug. 16th, 1915.
Stopt at Y.M.C.A. Hotel"

3.) On another page of the same book: Written August the 26th, 1915. Notes on different breeds of dogs. (odd because this has nothing to do with the rest of the book...)

4.) My cat, Butterfinger, was very interested in my photography of the books...it was strange that he posed with this particular book because the inside cover is the exact same green as his eyes, which you cannot see in the black and white picture...


Big Picture in Bottom Left:
The title page of a book of short mysteries, copyright 1909. The book apparently belonged to a certain "E.G. Moody." Notice that Butterfinger (or at least his nose) also appears in this one - he seems to be very interested in this particular book...

Middle Right:
From a small, leather book called "Backbiting Reproved."
Glapton, Mo. 1st Presby-
terian Sabbath School Library
No. 7
I, personally am Presbyterian and bought this book for that very reason. The ink in which this was written looks like it might have gotten wet at some point...

Bottom Right Corner:
1.)The back of the book above:
Glasston Sunday School, No. 7, 1881
They were, I think, not in agreement as to the location of this church...

2.) Inside the back cover of the book of mysteries, we find Mr. Moody's address at the time: #109 E. 14th Street, Austin, Texas.


Hope you enjoyed these as much as me!


No comments: