10 September, 2006

I can't buy a ticket for my cello?!


This infuriated me a little when I saw it on the news and now I was just reading about it on the internet. Someone had a bomb plot involving an instrument they were carrying on a plane, so...
You're no longer allowed to carry-on an instrument on a plane. This means that you have to check it. I've never taken my violin anywhere because I didn't want to carry it on, much less have it put under the plane. Things get broken all the time, which is too big of a risk to take with an instrument that costs thousands of dollars and, at least in my case, has a very significant sentimental value on top of its monetary worth.
For somewhat obvious reasons, this has enraged many professional musicians who have to travel overseas with their instruments. It can't be with you - there was even a case where they wouldn't let a cellist buy an extra seat just for his cello. Honestly!
Anyway, this is the picture that went with the story on Yahoo! News. I thought that it was kind of a neat picture.
-
-
From Yahoo! News:
[A violin. A group of top classical musicians has warned of the threat to artistic life from a hand baggage ban introduced after British police foiled an alleged bomb plot against transatlantic airliners.(AFP/File/Jeff Pachoud) ]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those Bastards!!! How dare they expect me to put my prized instrument below a plane!! In the Cold!! In the pressure!!! Outrageous!!! They can't get all my luggage on the right plane, and now I can't carry on!?!?!?! Bloody Hell, those cheeky wee donkies!!

r. burns said...

Brilliant, John.